Thursday, March 7, 2013

"I think she just asked if she could touch my mango."



Let's just talk a little bit about The Mortal Instruments.



HO my god.
This series won my heart. It is definitely one of my favorite book series ever. It's not just romance and predictable events because it really isn't predictable. It's about mythological creatures and angels and demons and "downworlders" and nephilim and so much more. The plot is just so developed and unfolds into such a great story it's something you simply can't put down and come back to later. This is a book series that you take with you when you're stranded on an island or the apocalypse is near. I just lost my mind in these books from the moment it started. Cassandra Clare is a Phenomenal  author.

 I absolutely adore the way she writes. It's witty, and funny, and sometimes so full of motion it's amazing. I zipped through City of Bones, City of Ashes, and City of Glass so quickly I should get an award for breaking a record. Like "Hyuh! I'm the motherfucking reading master!"
 
The books are about 350-400 pages each and there's 5 books and a sixth that is yet to be released, so they're pretty long but the story has got it all. There was so much adventure and action and it just had me chewing on my fingers and gripping my nook so tightly. Fortunately I never listened to my friend who said it was a long, boring, confusing and poorly written. I read it and I was like

 I ain't ever gonna listen to your review of a book again. Never.

And then she was like "Kirsten, sweetie."

 

I was just like "How. Rude."
 It also had romance, and I loved that the romance wasn't just between two characters (Clace aka: Clary and Jace) It was within all of the characters, from Simon to Isabelle to Magnus and Alec and Jordan and Maia... Oh my gosh it was so wonderful.

AND THEN everything came to a halt when Clary and Jace discovered that they might possibly be siblings.


...I know. You guys are like.

At the end of the book Valentine (Whom is a freaking great villain. I love him lots. Same goes for Jonathan) He's like oh and guys?
 I had to put the book down for a while because I had a hard time with that because, EWE. JUST EWE. Then I picked it back up because I couldn't stop. I was like Incest? Alright. That's coo. I can handle a little forbidden fruit action.
My take on their relationship at the time was:
Don't judge me. It was kinda hot. For a bit. ONLY because they didn't act or seem like brother and sister.
Okay no. That's wrong. SO wrong.
 I have a problem.
 

They're just so perfect for each other.
Then it turned out they weren't actually brother and sister because Valentine is a deceiving and lying asshole. (But really sexy asshole) And Jonathan Morgenstern (aka Sebastian) is actually Clary's blood brother, but he's kind of a douche. (A really sexy douche)
Then things got really intense between Clary and Jace like, "Let's get married and be happy forever" intense.
And I was like come on guys. Come on. Just do it already.
Peer pressure guys.
Feel it.
Come on.
Just do it.
You're so close.
Just get it over and done with.
 
I cried. A lot. A lot. Let me make that clear.
A LOT. There was a lot of crying.
 
When Simon became a vampire. I cried. But then he was all cool and like "Yeah. Ugh. Yeah. I'm a vampire. Es coo. I've got some swaggy vampire mojo."

And all the girls are like damn son.

 
These books are amazing. I swear your reaction will be:
 
It has Angels, Nephils (Angel/Human), Vampires, Werewolves, Demons, Warlocks, etc. It was such a great journey to read these books.

 I CANNOT wait for City of Heavenly Fire. I can't stop thinking about it. It's not gonna be released for a while...
 

Then finding out they were doing a movie, I literally flipped my  phone in the air (because that's where I read it off of) then the cast... I had a difficult time trying to see Lily Collins as Clary Fray but she grew on me and now I've accepted her as Clary Fray. Look at her.

 Especially after seeing released set photos and the trailer. And the trailer it's all mysterious and insane and perfect and Magnus is like "Yo clary. There's a map in yo head gurl. You da key to our survival yo."

 And Clary sees Jace and she screams and she looks at Simon and she's like "Did you see that?" And Simon's like "What? Huh?"
 And Jace is so sexy and he's like "I've been fighting demons all around the world." In a sexy english accent
. 
 (Which I don't think he had in the books. I'm like pretty sure he didn't. But Jamie's cool so whatever.)

  And I mean. Come on. She's Phil Collins' child. She's got to be talented. Somewhat.
Stars: 5/5
Order: City of Bones, City of Ashes, City of Glass, City of Fallen Angels, City of Lost Souls, City of Heavenly Fire (Don't forget to read the Infernal Devices series which is like a prequel)

Kirsten Bird Signing Off
 
And here's some cute little hedgehogs and JCB with a mustache.  And the link for the trailer. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4axPibsp4Ao


And here's a little something that made me think of Lola.

No comments:

Post a Comment